Photo (19??) kindly supplied by DEC. The cabin can be seen near the bottom dishes.
|Public access to site
||In use since
||Original: 1935 - 1990?
Second: 1990 -
The original tower was demolished in 19??.
Please click on thumbnails for enlargements
The 4 photos above were supplied in May 2020 by the Mundaring and Hills Historical Society Inc. via Trish Beaman and used with permission, thanks.
||Screenshot of old map
supplied by MLC in late 2019.
Was the structure in the 1st photo from the Mundaring and Hills Historical Society Inc. one of the so called a "substation"? In a newspaper story from 1922 (just after Gunjin and Dale towers were built) it states "Twenty five miles of telephone line link the lookouts (Gunjin and Dale) with district headquarters at Mundaring Weir and four substations on the tops of smaller hills".
Please get in touch with us if you can help us solve this mystery, thanks.
The following quote is from an article in The Western Australian from Wednesday 5th Mar 1935, page 16:
During the past 12 months the scope of fire detection throughout the forest areas of the South-West had been extended by the erection of four additional fire towers, one near Sawyer's Valley, one at Teesdale (near Dwellingup), one on Mt. Keats and one on Mt. William, in the Yarloop area.
||The 2020 photo was taken and supplied by MLC. The 2nd photo is
cropped from the 1st one to show the cabin.
The 3 photos above were taken and supplied by Tom Niven in late 2022.
1st: Three of the old support posts, sawn off at ground level. 2nd: Survey marker in the centre of old tower stumps. 3rd: Stump with a lighting earth rod next to it.
Tom also provided the following information: 60 metres SSE of Telstra tower, all that is there now are the 4 stumps and a survey marker, which can be seen in the pictures.
Back to Swan Region
Back to Western Australia Towers
Back to Home Page