GUNGIN - GUNJIN
Photo of the second (pole) tower was kindly donated by DEC
||Original: -31.989264, 116.130160
Pole tower: close to original
Pole tower: ?m
Pole tower: 18m
Pole tower: Timber
Pole tower: ?
|Public access to site
||In use since
||Original: 1921 - 1960
Pole tower: 1960 - 1991?
The original tower was demolished and sold for £ 2.0.0 in 1960 and the second tower was demolished in 1991.
An article on page 10 in the West Australian newspaper of Tue 11th Dec 1923 states: "They have erected on two high points in the hills - Mt. Gunjin and Mt. Dale, about 15 miles apart— look-out towers, each fitted with maps, prismatic compass, telephone, and heliograph. The country has been divided Into blocks and compartments, and all fires spotted by the look-out man or by patrols in the bush, who communicate with the look-out by heliograph, are exactly located on the maps, arrangements being made instantly, by telephone and heliograph, for forest employees to hasten to the spot and extinguish the fires".
Please click on thumbnails for enlargements
||Screenshot of old map supplied by MLC in late 2019
||The original Gunjin tower in 1930. Sourced from the collections of the State Library of Western Australia and reproduced
with the permission of the Library Board of Western Australia.
Please click here for the original location.
We are still researching when and why the name changed from Gungin to the current name, Gunjin.
Please get in touch with us if you can help us solve these mysteries, thanks.
||The Gunjin pole tower in c1960. Photo was supplied in May 2020
by the Mundaring and Hills Historical Society Inc. via Trish Beaman
and used with permission, thanks.
Back to Swan Region
Back to Western Australia Towers
Back to Home Page