PINJAR - SHIREVIEW
Photo of the current tower (1990) supplied by DEC
||Original: -31.650292, 115.786036 (GDA)
Current: -31.65879278700, 115.77595801600 (GDA)
||Public access to site
||In use since
||Original: 1955 - 1970
Current: 1988 -
The original tower was abandoned in 1970
Please click on thumbnails for enlargements
||Screenshots of old maps supplied by MLC in late 2019. 1st one is the original Pinjar site, 2nd one is the current Pinjar site
MLC also reported: Nothing remains of the original wooden tower associated with the Pinjar headquarters.
For reasons yet to be understood, this (active) tower appears to have taken on the name "Pinjar" from another tower site nearby.
The sites for the original and the current tower are approx 1.6km apart. The (unconfirmed and suggested by Max Le Clercq) theory is that the original tower was called Pinjar (confirmed) and that the current tower was originally called Shireview (confirmed), because the site is called Shire View Hill. At some point, the name was referred back to Pinjar.
And to make it even more confusing, the site is also known as Charles Searson Lookout.
Please get in touch with us if you can help us solve these mysteries, thanks.
The DBCA Annual Report of 2018-19 states: Major reconstruction and repairs to the Pinjar and Walyunga fire towers were completed.
We're still trying to find out what works exectly were done.
Back to Swan Region
Back to Western Australia Towers
Back to Home Page