Photo supplied by Graeme Seppings, taken in 1997
||Public access to site
||In use since
||1941 - 1960
||10 - Eastern
Mullundung tower (or Big Tower) was one of the largest of its type to be built. The tower was constructed using large hand-hewn spliced legs, with timber bracing, steel re-enforced joints and steel bolts. The base is 6.7m square and is a tapering structure crowned by a small lookout cabin. The timber used in the construction of the tower appears to be mostly yellow stringybark (Eucalyptus Muelleriana)
The tower was abandoned in 1960, in preference for a lookout tower erected on Mt. Fatigue.
Thumbnail photos and above information supplied by the Historical Section of the NRE, from a rapport by David Bannear.
Please click on thumbnails for enlargements
|Base of the tower
||Joint in one leg
Back to Gippsland
Back to Victorian Towers
Back to Home Page