The original tower was constructed from trees cut on site and came into operation in January 1940.
Access to the cabin was through a trap door in the floor, using wooden ladders up through the centre of the tower structure.
||3m x 3m
||Public access to site
||In use since
||1940 - 1987 (timber)
1988 - 1991 (18m steel)
1991 - current
||10 - Eastern
White ants were found to have weakened two legs of the tower and she was condemned in 1987 and demolished on 4th May 1988.
The second tower was a standard 18m steel tower, prefabricated in Benalla and transported to Mt. Taylor in three sections.
The budget cost for the tower and associated works totalled AUS$50.000. (1988) This tower was in operation for 3 seasons only.
The current tower was built by the Dept. of Transport and Communications (DOTAC) and was needed to improve TV broadcasting and other communications.
Under a co-tenancy arrangement the then DCFL had a new fire detection cabin installed (22m above ground) in order to continue their fire detection responsibilities.
Photo and information supplied by Peter Gazaly
Additional information supplied by Sharon Cook, Dept. NRE in Bairnsdale
Please click on invisible thumbnail for enlargements.
The above thumbnail photos were supplied via Paul Jones.
|Original Mt. Taylor in 1969.
||Original Mt. Taylor
down in 1988.
The photo on the right has some historical facts about the tower. (enlarge your browser view)
Back to Gippsland
Back to Victorian Towers
Back to Home Page