||Public access to site
||In use since
||1948 - ?
||11 - Eastern
THIS TOWER IS NO LONGER EXISTS
One of three timber towers in the Bruthen Fire District, along Mt. Little Dick and Mt. Taylor.
The tower was constructed by Cecil Cross and Charlie Wain,
using large hand-hewn spliced legs, with timber bracing, steel re-enforced joints and steel bolts. The legs were set into concrete pads.
The tower had a tapering structure crowned by a small lookout cabin. The base wass 5.7m square and height was approx. 18m.
The cabin had a lean-to corrugated iron roof and louvre windows.
The best preserved of the three timber towers that survived in the Gippsland area until the 2007 fires.
The Mt. Sugarloaf tower was historically significant as a rare artefact associated with the evolution of the State's fire detection system and was
scientifically rare as surviving example of an early form of timber firetower, similar in design and appearance to many others which were erected throughout
Victoria during the 1940s.
Some of the papers found, talk about 'circa 1943' as when to tower was built, but the concrete pad at the bottom of the legs clearly shows 1948. (see thumbnail)
Please click on thumbnails for enlargements
Photos and information supplied by the Historical Section from the NRE, from a report by David Bannear.
|Base of the tower
||Year of construction?
Mt. Sugarloaf tower was burnt in the 2006/2007 fires. It is now a communication site only.
Back to Gippsland
Back to Victorian Towers
Back to Home Page