MT. MITTAMATITE


Grid Reference EV 775990
Department DEPI
Work Depot Corryong
Region North East
Grading Primary
Elevation (ASL) 1003m
Height 30m
Construction Steel
Cabin size 2.1m x 2.1m
Public access to site Yes
In use since 1954 - 1963 (original)
1964 - current
CFA Region 24 - North Eastern
Photo and above information supplied by Reginald R. Hodge in 1999. Reg has manned the tower since 1985-86 season.

All information below was found in information supplied by David Bannear.

Forest Commission correspondence dated 24th May 1954, talks about the approach route to the tower.
An eastern approach was suggested.
Estimated cost:
4 miles doser track 2000
clearing of site & erection of 60' tower 700
erection of hut near tower 150
Total 2850


In a letter from the Division of Forest Protection, dates 03-05-1961 it talks about some extra earthing to be carried out:
"30' of household earth wire (7/029) is to be attached to each leg and buried in a reasonable straight line at least six (6) inches deep. In addition, any occupant of the tower is to be clearly instructed that, when electrical storms are occurring within a radius of one mile of the tower, the tower is to be vacated, without exception."

In 1963, the Dep. of Civil Aviation wanted to do some radio tests at the site to determine the suitability for radio navigation aids for the guidance of aircraft in that area. Some trees had to be cleared and the tower dismantled to avoid reflections and false readings.
The tower was dismantled and stored in Corryong and a new tower was erected after the testing was completed. The tower was built by the Dept. of Civil Aviation and was first manned on February the 15th 1965.

In a report dated 31-07-1968 the viewing coverage of Black Mountain and Mt. Mittamatite are assessed and the outcome showed that both towers can't do without the other to give a satisfactory cover for the Corryong District.

The tower was painted in 1979 and some minor maintenance was carried out on the catwalk decking and the cabin floor.

In 1985, "It has been reported by the towerman that on occasion the steel structure gives out a loud bang as expansion / contraction forces make their adjustments suggesting that it is time to have all the bolts in the tower structure tightened."

2002: The tower received a new cabin in Oct. (supplied by Reg)

Please click on thumbnails for enlargements
Tower (1998) supplied
by David Turner (DSE)
cabin (1998) supplied
by David Turner (DSE)
old cabin, supplied
by Jim Browning (2009)
old cabin, supplied
by Jim Browning (2009)

The old cabin sits in the grounds of The Man From Snowy River Museum in Corryong.

The above fotos were taken on the FLO get-together in May 2012. Supplied by Andre Belterman

Back to North East
Back to Victorian Towers
Back to Home Page