MT. LITTLE DICK


Grid Reference EU 724315
Department DEPI
Work Depot Bruthen
Region Gippsland
Grading Secondary
Elevation (ASL) 300m
Height 17.5m
Construction Timber
Cabin size ?
Public access to site Yes
In use since 1940
CFA Region ? - Eastern
THIS TOWER IS NO LONGER USED!
Photo supplied by Ray Lucas

In the Forest Commission's Annual Report from 1928-29 is the following entry:
Negotiations are in hand for the establishment of a lookout station, viz: Mt. Little Dick.
This station will serve in conjunction with the already established tower on Mt. Nowa Nowa for the detection and location of outbreaks of fires in the Nowa Nowa and Bruthen Forest District.

The tower is constructed using large hand-hewn spliced legs, with timber bracing, steel re-enforced joints and steel bolts. Cecil Cross and Charlie Wain, well known Forest commission identities, built this tower using Ironbark (Eucalyptus Sideroxylon) and Yellow Stringybark (Eucalyptus Muelleriana), obtained and squared on site.
The Mt. Little Dick fire tower is historically significant as a rare artefact associated with the evolution of the State's fire detection system.

Information supplied by the Historical Section of the NRE from a rapport by David Bannear.

Please click on thumbnails for enlargements
Close-up of
tower and cabin
supplied by
Historical Section of the NRE
View from Mt. Little Dick
supplied by
Historical Section of the NRE
Tower in 2009
supplied by Richard Webb
Close-up of cabin in 2009
supplied by Richard Webb


Close-up of
structure
supplied by Ray Lucas (2001?)
Close-up of
structure
supplied by Ray Lucas (2001?)
Footings
supplied by Ray Lucas (2001?)


Back to Gippsland
Back to Victorian Towers
Back to Home Page