MT. HICKEY


Grid Reference CU 359837
Department DEPI
Work Depot Broadford
Region North East
Grading Primary
Elevation (ASL) 805m
Height 18m
Construction Steel
Cabin size 2.2m x 2.6m
Public access to site Yes
In use since 1947 - 1976? (original)
1977? - (current)
CFA Region 12 - North Eastern
Mt. Hickey is situated in the Mt. Tallarook Ranges and is sometimes called Mt. Tallarook

The original wooden tower was replaced with the current steel tower in 1976.
This tower had a new cabin installed in 2000 and then again in 2013
Information and photos supplied by Phil Searle, a veteran in the job

Please click on thumbnails for enlargements

View from
tower
Inside
(old) cabin
The Original
Mt. Hicky in 1975-76

In a memorandum dated 12th February 1970 is a mentioning of the cabin being completely beyond repair.
"The cabin on Mt. Hicky has no apparent means of fastening to the top girts, but a combination of 4" (100mm) nails, iron brackets, coach bolts and skew nails all must contribute to the reason why the cabin is still on the tower. Knee braces in opposite corners have stopped the cabin from rocking, so I can only assume that the cabin wrecked itself by bouncing up and down prior to the towerman managing to fix it to the tower".
The recommendation was to prefabricate a well designed timber cabin and then to be erected on the tower for a cost of approx. $1150.
The memo also states: "To strip the legs of the remaining sapwood, replace a few structural braces, strengthen and repair landings and handrails plus a general tightening of bolts and coating with creosote, can be carried out for an estimated cost of $350".

Please click on thumbnails for enlargements

Old cabin down New cabin arrives New cabin
nearly in place
2009, supplied by Richard Webb
3 photos above of the 2000 cabin replacement were supplied by Tony Scicluna and used with permission.

The 2 photos left, of the 2013 cabin replacement, were supplied by Phil Searle and used with permission. Phil is the long-time FLO at Mt Hickey.
For the drawings of the cabin in pdf format, please click here


The 2 photos left, are of the original wooden tower. The b/w photo (1952) was supplied by the Melbourne Walking Club via Robin Bailey.
The color photo (1971) was supplied by the Melbourne Bushwalking Inc. Both photos are used with permission.


Back to North East
Back to Victoria Page
Back to Home Page