MT. CLAY


Grid Reference WC 612698
Department DEPI
Work Depot Heywood
Region Far West
Grading Primary
Elevation (ASL) 189m
Height 50m (tower)
13.8m (cabin)
Construction Steel
Cabin size 3.45m x 3.45m
Public access to site No
In use since 193? - 196? (wooden)
196? - (current)
CFA Region 4 - South West

This tower in owned by the National Transmission Agency (NTA) and has been in place for approx. 30 years. It replaced a wooden tower, which was first constructed during the 1939-45 war.
It overlooks the towns of Heywood, Portland and the Portland Bay as well as several State Forests and private pine plantations. Large areas of Blue Gum have been planted over the last few years.
The road to the tower is called Angelino Road, named after Frank Angelino who worked for the Forest Commission and worked on the tower for approx. 30 years.
Above information and 3 photos supplied by Reg Cottier

Please click on thumbnails for enlargements
Map board View towards Portland Photo supplied by Paul Jones 2009, supplied by Richard Webb 2009, supplied by Richard Webb


Back to Far West
Back to Victorian Towers
Back to Home Page