Kangaroo ground
Grid Reference CU 433271
Department CFA
Work Depot Kangaroo Ground
Region Port Phillip East
Grading Primary
Elevation (ASL) 200m
Height 12m
Construction Stone
Cabin size 2m x 2m
Public access to site Yes
In use since 1948
CFA Region 13 - Central
Photo (2000) by Andre Belterman

The stone structure, a replica of old English and Scottish watch towers, was built as a Memorial and completed in 1926.
Records show that the tower was used for "fire watching" prior to 1948. The cabin was added in the early 1970s to give the fire spotter some protection from the weather.
Information above was supplied by Keith Sharp, a CFA volunteer towerman for many years.

Addition of the cabin

The tower received a new cabin in December 2009. The photos below were supplied by Paul Jones.
Please click on thumbnails below for enlargements
09th December 2009
nearly finished
09th December 2009
nearly finished
14th December 2009
14th December 2009

Back to Port Phillip
Back to Victorian Towers
Back to Home Page